The ZZ plant can be propagated and grown from rooting the leaves.
- Remove an individual leaf from the leaf petiole and plant it into a small pot with a 1 to 1 ½ “ diameter.
- Only insert the leaf base into a good quality potting soil for foliage plants just enough to stably support it in an upright position.
- Maintain the soil moisture level on the low to moderately dry side while the leaf forms roots.
- After root formation at the base of the leaf it will then begin growing a tuber from which the new plant will emerge and grow from.
- Plan on 4 to 6 months establishing time before the tuber begins to sprout and grow in the actual new leaves.
- After the ZZ leaf is well rooted and begins growing it will then need to be planted to 4” or 6” container.
- It typically takes a year overall grow time from rooting the leaves to growing on to a mature plant.